School City of Hobart has a goal to see every child have the opportunity to go to pre-k. The reasons for this are many, but mainly because children gain the following things from going to preschool.
- Children gain physical skills as they play with toys, use scissors. glue and playdoh. Preschool is full of opporunities for children to learn to use both their large and fine motor skills for life.
- Children gain social skills as they learn to cooperate and share and resolve conflicts in the classroom.
- Children gain cognitive skills as they must think about how to solve complex problems
Things to Consider When Choosing a Preschool:
Play and Academic Focus
- How much time is focused on learning through play?
- How big is the inside and outside play area?
- Are there field trips?P
- Who drives for the field trips?
- Is there a music and/or art program? If not, how are these incorporated into the day?
- What is the daily routine?
- How often do preschool/pre-K classes meet and at what times?
- How many children and teachers are in one class?
- What type of discipline guidelines do they have?
- At what age can my child be enrolled?
- Does my child have to be potty-trained to attend?
- Does my child have to be immunized to attend?
- What is the cost, and are there any financial aid scholarships available?
- When do we need to be registered and what paperwork do we need?
Does the Preschool Receive Continued Professional Development and Collaborate with Others?
- How much professional development do the teachers and professionals get each year?
- Do they collaborate with other early childhood professionals?
- Does the preschool belong to any professional organizaitons?