|Origin of Name
||From the Greek words nitron genes. meaning forming native soda.
|Date and Place of Discovery
||In 1772 in Scotland
- Compounds of nitrogen were known in the middle ages.
- It makes up about 78.1% of our atmosphere.
- It is estimated to be the 7th most abundant chemical element in our universe.
- Nitrogen is an essential part of amino and nucleic acids, which are necessary for life.
- Nitrogen gas is created through the distillation of liquid or gaseous air.
- Commercial nitrogen is a byproduct created in the steelmaking process.
- It is less expensive than argon.
- Preserves freshness in bulk foods
- Incandescent light bulbs
- Electronic parts (transistors, diodes, integrated circuits)
- Protects liquid explosives during transportation
- Military aircraft fuel systems
- Tires for aircraft and automobiles