|Origin of Name
||From the Greek words hudôr, meaning water and gennan, meaning to
|Date and Place of Discovery
||1766 in England and in France
Cavendish and Antoine-Laurent de Lavoisier
- It is the most abundant element in the universe. It makes up 90% of all atoms.
- It can be found in abundance in stars and gas giant planets like Jupiter.
- It plays an important role in the powering of the universe through proton-proton reactions.
- The United States produces about 3 billion cubic feet of hydrogen per year.
- Hydrogenation of fats and oils
- Methanol production
- Rocket fuel
- Hydrochloric acid
- Reducing metallic ores
- Filling balloons