|Origin of Name
||From the Latin word calcis, meaning lime
|Date of Discovery
||1808 in England
||Sir Humphry Davy
- It is the 5th most abundant element found in the earth's crust.
- It was prepared as lime by the Romans who called it "calyx," but it wasn't
discovered until 1808.
- It is not found free in nature.
- It can be purified is not a soft silvery-white metal.
- 99% of the human body's calcium is found in the teeth and bones.
- Essential for the development of healthy teeth and bones
- Used in woman past their child-bearing years in the treatment of osteoporosis